Our school is located in South Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. We are a public school and pride ourselves on having a large International Baccalaureate Program and one of the top Music Programs in Canada. Our school population is about 1750 encompassing grades 8 through 12.
Some of the highlights over the past few years include:
• Jazz Band 11 won Best Surrey Senior Band and the Envision Jazz Festival (Feb 2015)
• ¼ of the top jazz soloist winners at the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival were from our school. (Feb/2015)
• (Jazz Band 11) AA Band winner at the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival (Feb/ 2015)
• The only combo to be selected to perform at the Lionel Hampton Jazz festival winners concert (Feb/2015)
• Numerous awards of best combos, rhythm sections, and soloists at the Envision Jazz Festival (Feb 2015)
• Pianist, Adrian Michael (in Jazz Band 12) Received a $40 000 scholarship to Berklee College of Music
• Music Fest Canada (2013) Ensembles from our school received eight Gold and one Silver award.
Associated with the Vancouver International Jazz Festival is an ensemble called the “High School Jazz Intensive.” It takes the best auditioned high school jazz musicians from throughout greater Vancouver and puts them with Chicago based jazz flautist Michelle Mitchell and presents them at the festival in June of each year. Historically, a significant portion of this ensemble’s band members have been from Semiahmoo Secondary.
Our grades are studying at Lawrence University, North Texas State University, UBC, McGill University in Montreal, and Humber College to name a few.
Our Department staff comprise of three educators, Dagan Lowe, Kevin Lee, and Gary Tse.
Our website is: www.semiahmoomusic.ca
Please follow these YouTube links for a clip of the Jazz 11 and Jazz 12 ensembles perform: